HONEYWELL’S NEW CONNECTED, WEARABLE DETECTOR ENHANCES SAFETY FOR WORKERS IN DANGEROUS CONFINED SPACES
12 June 2018
Honeywell BW™ Ultra detector features Bluetooth connectivity, intelligent data management and best-in-class user interface
Honeywell has launched a new connected portable gas detector designed to keep workers safe in dangerous confined spaces while featuring a simple and easy to use design.
The new Honeywell BW™ Ultra monitors up to five different gases simultaneously, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), while leveraging Bluetooth connectivity to allow safety managers to collect and track valuable data. The new detector also features Honeywell TouchConnect™ technology, which makes configuration, calibration and bump testing fast and simple.
“Confined spaces pose serious, even deadly, safety issues for industrial, oil and gas, hazmat, and utility workers,” said Richard Dunn, product manager, portable gas detection for Honeywell Industrial Safety. “BW Ultra’s rugged design, ease of operation and ability to detect a wide range of gases brings a new level of safety to these workers. And because it’s connected, safety managers can access a wide range of useful data about alarm history, equipment safety and worker training through Honeywell’s Connected Worker platform.”
The Honeywell BW Ultra was designed using the Honeywell User Experience, which puts customer problems and ease of use at the centre of the development process. The new detector features a larger 3.2-inch display to display more critical information at a glance, a rugged ergonomic design, and a one-button operation. Honeywell TouchConnect technology helps users quickly access calibration and bump test modes and complete configuration changes without the need to be connected to a docking system or a computer.
Honeywell BW Ultra connects the safety manager to a data ecosystem. Data from the detector or its IntelliDox docking station is downloadable to a PC, where it can be aggregated and managed through Honeywell’s Connected Worker software platform to simplify and speed up compliance tasks. A cloud-based network option will be available soon.
“Many safety professionals spend more than half of their time collecting, analysing and reporting compliance information,” Dunn said. “Honeywell BW Ultra makes compliance administration fast and easy.”
Among the key features of Honeywell BW Ultra:
• Five-gas monitoring combines standard four-gas sensing capability for oxygen, carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulphide, and combustibles at the lower explosive limit (LEL), that can be customised with a choice of photoionisation detector (PID) sensors for VOCs or infrared (IR) sensors for combustible gases, carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, chlorine and other toxic gases.
• 3.2-inch screen and a simple-to-read interface makes for easier viewing and quicker decision-making.
• Patented Hole Watch Mode includes an easy-to-read bar graph showing gas concentration in relation to alarm threshold to help attendants monitor and respond to changing atmospheric conditions.
• Bump testing, calibration and configuration changes of Honeywell BW Ultra devices made fast and simple with Honeywell TouchConnect technology.
• IntelliDoX docking/charging station automates fleet management, generates compliance records, alarm history and events, calibration certificates and more.
• Bluetooth-enabled cloud connectivity and the downloadable Safety Communicator app manages and stores fleet data automatically, enables remote notification and lone worker monitoring.
• Patented IntelliFlash pulsing light indicates sensor functionality and compliance status.
• Internal pump offers quick pre-entry confined space testing.
Honeywell is the global leader in gas detection technology, with the broadest range of sensing technologies developed to protect workers and operations from toxic and combustible gases, VOCs and other gas hazards. Honeywell gas detectors are used in thousands of commercial buildings, industrial plants, chemical refineries, laboratories, manufacturing plants, power plants, and drilling sites around the world.
For more information, please contact:
Life Safety Distribution GmbH
Tel: +800 333 222 44